The best and most eco-friendly way to stop mildew is…Prevention! Learn how to stop mildew from ever forming, therefore eliminating the need for harsh, toxic products later on. Just like the old movie monsters that scared us as kids, mildew thrives in damp, dark, misty conditions. Short of the monster’s foggy swamp, your bathroom couldn’t be more perfect as a home for mildew. Here are some suggestions, however, to chase away mildew demons lurking in your bathroom:
- Keep surfaces clean. Dirt, grease, body oils, and so forth are all like Thanksgiving dinner to mildew.
- Keep a squeegee in the shower, and use it on the shower walls, door, and floor after showering. Towel them dry after squeegeeing in extreme cases.
- Leave the shower door open or the shower curtains parted after you’re done showering.
- Open a window to keep fresh air circulating.
- Leave the bathroom door ajar during showering.
- Hang the towels so they will dry completely before the next day’s use.
- Put a portable fan in the bathroom, and turn it on after showering to help exchange wet bathroom air for drier air from other rooms.
- Get a dehumidifier.
- Get really serious and install an exhaust fan.